Friday, October 16, 2009

Ballerina Girl

You are so lovely...

I can see in you my dreams come true...

The joy you bring me...

Every day and night, when I hold you tight...

I only want to say, "I love you."



If you didn't pick up on it, the words are adapted from Lionel Richie's song Ballerina Girl. I think of it every Tuesday when I'm getting McKayla ready for dance class. She has been going for several weeks now. I had been waiting for the opportunity to sign McKayla up for dancing. I even think that I was WAY more excited than she was when I first signed her up. I love dancing - though I'm not much good at it. But I love watching dance - all forms - and I hope that McKayla takes on and keeps that love. I hope that dance will be a part of her life as she grows. I'm looking forward to recitals and performances, parades and competitions. The good thing is that she enjoys dance class for now, and looks forward to going. She takes ballet and tap and LOVES those tap shoes. I can't imagine any child that wouldn't.

It was a rocky start for the first class. She didn't listen well, danced to her own tune and tried coming out of the classroom several times. However, progress is being made with every class. She is paying attention and trying the steps demonstrated, though I will say she is quite uncoordinated. Hopefully, dance class will improve her balance and coordination.

The pooey part is that the parents aren't allowed in the classroom. Completely understandable - we are too much of a distraction. Instead, we huddle together in front of a one-way mirror for 45 minutes while our little ones attempt to follow directions. Some moms immediately stake their territory at the window, others are more considerate for the one lady who brings her 19 month old son that reaches out to grab anyone within arms reach and is mostly NOT content to stand in his mother's arms while she watches her little girl dance.
Yeah, that mom is me. Landon is one curious kid, and if you are not right with him every second - stuff happens.
So the cool news is that McKayla gets to be in two parades in December and then her recital will be in May sometime. The little ones won't be dancing in the parades, they just ride on the float. I am interested, though, to see how she does with her recital. If she'll actually get up and dance in front of a bunch of people. She can be shy - but, we'll see.
I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh how I wish i had a little girl to put in dance classes. Sigh.

Beth said...

I can't wait to see her in her recital outfit! It's always so adorable to see them in their outfits! What fun!