Monday, October 26, 2009

The T21 Traveling Afghan

I haven't received a package in the mail that has made me more excited than when I opened the box that appeared on our doorstep, Thursday, October 8th. (I'm way behind in this post...I know.) Inside was the T21 Traveling Afghan and its travel companion, the journal. My eyes poured over every page and every word written in the journal by those who had previously played host. I knew I couldn't wait to add my words to it.


After stealing myself away from the journal I took the afghan over to Landon. He hugged it, played with it, and then, didn't want anything to do with it. I know the afghan's significance is lost on him right now.






We were fortunate enough to receive the afghan so early in the game because I requested it for our Buddy Walk (I'll post about that later).

The weekend went by so fast and before I knew it, Tuesday morning had arrived and it was time to send the afghan on its way. The Afghan's next stop? The Buddy Cruise! I took time to snap a few more photos before sadly making my way to the post office.





I am so excited for this project and can't wait to see where it goes. I think the afghan's travels will impart such unique insight and understanding to enhance support, acceptance and awareness for individuals with Down syndrome. For those who haven't yet heard, or don't know much about it:

The T21 Traveling Afghan was lovingly made by Chandos (CJ) Field, a mother of a child with Down syndrome. The afghan is making its way across the globe to families with a loved one with Down syndrome. After the afghan makes its ‘round-the-world journey, Ms. Field hopes to turn this project into a book to celebrate the afghan’s journey and promote acceptance and awareness of individuals with Down syndrome.

Fun Facts about the T21 Traveling Afghan:

- The afghan began its journey in March of 2009.

- To date, the afghan has visited 20 families in 10 different states.

- The afghan has attended 5 Buddy Walks, a Buddy Cruise and the International Mosaic Down Syndrome Association and National Down Syndrome Congress conferences.

- Over the next several months – maybe years – the afghan will embark on a journey across the US and around the world for brief stays with over 250 families patiently waiting for their turn.


Thank you CJ, for connecting the world together. One extra chromosome at a time.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I love the picture of Landon with it wrapped around his shoulders--adorable!

We can't wait for our turn!

Catherine Just said...

SO SO CUTE!!!!!

Sunshine and Shadows said...

He is so cute. I love the story of the afghan.