Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spread the Word to End the Word

I've never given much thought to my use of the word "retard." As a matter of fact, I would say it to myself quite often when I had done something I felt was stupid. Since Landon's birth I have become quite fond of message boards for parents of children with Down syndrome. One clear message that I have gotten from those boards is that the "r" word is hurtful, derogatory and disrespectful to those with intellectual disabilities. Though I never inteded to be mean and hurtful, because I said it to degrade myself and/or my actions, it is clear what I was implying with my word choice. That only stupid acts are done by "retards". And that completely undermines any accomplishments and the many abilities of those with intellectual disabilities.

So friends, I am asking you to join others to pledge to never use the "r" word. Click below to make your pledge, or, make it to yourself.

r-word.org
Click here to read a message from John C. McGinley, actor, and father of a child with Down syndrome.
My pledge: For my son Landon, so that others may accept and respect him for who he is and for his abilities and not judge him for his disabilities.

1 comment:

John Wills Lloyd, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for helping spread the word! I'm with you on promoting humane re-consideration of the language we use.